Happy In Bag

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

"I'm Leaving Because I Can"














How would you like to get a taste of your old bygone stomping grounds, even if just for a few fleeting moments? I’d love to see and hear the old Milton’s or the original Grand Emporium again.

With that in mind, I’ve taken to occasionally setting my clunky digital camera on "movie mode" when I'm out. I hope to capture just a smidgen of the ambiance in current establishments for posterity.

I stopped in at Jardine’s weekly jam session last Saturday afternoon. I started to record a brief video of Gerald Spaits’ bass solo and Paul Smith’s piano, along with a bit of the happy background chatter.

I had no way of knowing that I’d catch this gal uttering what’s become my new catchphrase. "I’m leaving because I can," she declares fifteen seconds in. I’m also a fan of the cheerful waitress who appears at the one minute mark.

5 Comments:

  • At 10:15 AM, Blogger Tony said…

    "I'm leaving because I can" . . . I'm using that one as well! That's just the best way I've ever heard to get out of something.

    Nice music as well.

     
  • At 12:00 PM, Blogger WLIB said…

    Thanks for keeping the camera steady. And yes, that waitress rocks.

     
  • At 12:14 PM, Blogger Happy In Bag said…

    "I'm keeping the camera steady...because I can!" Thanks Lee and Tony.

     
  • At 6:01 PM, Blogger Xavier Onassis said…

    I remember Milton's well.

    What I can't remember is whether the following was true, urban legend, or just a hallucination of mine. Didn't he have a standing ad running in the classifieds that just said "I ain't mad at nobody - Milton".

    As the story was told to me, he ran that ad to let people know that even though you got tossed out last Saturday, or one of your checks bounced, you're still welcome at the club...c'mon back.

    Does anyone else remember that?

     
  • At 4:19 PM, Blogger bgo said…

    It is true. Over the years he trimmed the classified ad as the rates went up. I'll scan one from microfilm and post it somewhere on the web. Probably my Web site. I work at the Central library so it is no big deal for me.

    m&s

     

Post a Comment

<< Home