Happy In Bag

Friday, March 09, 2007

PV Not PC













When Mark Funkhouser first referenced Prairie Village during his campaign I didn't think much about it. As a very content resident of the suburb, I immediately understood that the Kansas City mayoral candidate was using shorthand for good schools, safe neighborhoods, strong community and solid public services. Isn't that what everyone wants? So I was taken aback by the vitriol I've encountered online regarding Prairie Village. Many people seem to harbor deep-seated animosity for the quiet bedroom community. I don't get it. It's kind of like hating the color beige.

5 Comments:

  • At 9:32 AM, Blogger FletcherDodge said…

    I wouldn't take it personally. It seems to be a pretty common psychological phenomenon to hate something that you want, but can't have.

    It's a kind of a defense mechanism, like telling you're mom you think the Millennium Falcon action figure set is stupid and you don't even want it after she tells you can't have it for your birthday (hypothetically speaking, of course).

     
  • At 1:53 PM, Blogger Mark said…

    You think people DON'T hate beige? Take the mildest, most inoffensive thing you can think of, and somebody hates it with all their heart.

    I hate Krispy Kreme donuts because I can't have them. That's how I stay [relatively more] sane.

     
  • At 3:42 PM, Blogger brucedene said…

    I grew up in that den of iniquity, so I totally understand where the haters are coming from. Okay, not really. But when the cops switched to a khaki uniform, we used to get a kick out of calling them the Boys in Beige.

     
  • At 4:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This is pretty off-topic... was there not a V's restaurant in those shops somewhere, mabye even in the basement?

     
  • At 7:00 PM, Blogger Xavier Onassis said…

    Ah, Smaks!

    Reminds me of Jiffy's!

    And Nickerson Farms.

    And Katz Drug Stores.

    And bringing down mastadons with pointy sticks and then blogging about it on my clay tablet.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home