Happy In Bag

Monday, November 24, 2008

Sell Out!















"Sell out!!" I laughed when I saw the angry graffiti scrawled on MURS' tour bus in the Record Bar's parking lot Saturday night. I recalled the first time I felt betrayed by a musician. The Clash shocked me by concluding London Calling with a pop song. The very concept of "selling out" now seems quaint. Why wouldn't a rapper allow Microsoft to provide a handsome tour bus? The anonymous fan's rage depicted here is actually kind of sweet.

4 Comments:

  • At 4:07 PM, Blogger FletcherDodge said…

    I agree with the graffiti. I absolutely refuse to compromise my blogtistic integrity by accepting cash for blog posts.

    In fact, if you offered me, say $10,000 to place an ad or something on my blog, I wouldn't do it.

    Don't believe me? Go ahead, try me. Do it. Offer me $10,000. I dare ya. Please offer me $10,000?

     
  • At 5:42 PM, Blogger bgo said…

    As a long time fan of Jerry Williams, Jr (aka Swamp Dogg), who once titled an album "I'm Not Selling Out, I'm Buying In", I think he was ahead of the curve and the sense of humor to be honest about it. The album cover is a must see.

     
  • At 7:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Part of the sellout agreement involves compromising your artistic integrity, neh? Someone should let Murs know that, 'cause "The Science," frex, will never be used to sell Zunes.

     
  • At 2:03 PM, Blogger Happy In Bag said…

    I figure that the process of selling out starts when you allow your first grade teacher to bully your glue-eating classmate. At least that's how went for me.

    I'll take a cut of that action, Emaw.

    Look for Swamp Dogg over at TSTG sometime soon, BGO.

    It's not MURS' fault, BD, but I just don't long for a Zune.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home