Happy In Bag

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Pub Stub











I don't know if living a full mile from the nearest watering hole is a blessing or a curse. My current suburban office, on the other hand, is surrounded by several alcohol-oriented establishments. I tried a brand new one, McGuire's Tavern on 87th Street, yesterday. The informal joint is refreshingly unambitious. Televisions are tuned to sports channels as hair metal plays in the background. Based on one beer-free meal, the output of the kitchen seems no better or worse that one would reasonably expect of a neighborhood pub in Johnson County. It's too bad I live several miles away.

5 Comments:

  • At 7:10 PM, Blogger the unthinking lemming said…

    That location has had a hard time since its last incarnation as a bar.

     
  • At 9:09 PM, Anonymous Rick in PV said…

    I wish the owners luck, really, but that place has been a dozen things and never made it. I think the access is kinda funky ...

     
  • At 11:52 AM, Blogger Christy said…

    The access is really funky. Maybe I'll take the time to walk over there this weekend.

     
  • At 7:00 PM, Blogger the unthinking lemming said…

    Actually, Rick, that location was quite stable for several years as Barleycorn's. If I understand correctly, the main reason that bar closed was because the guy who ran it retired.

     
  • At 10:48 AM, Blogger Gary said…

    That's also in my neighborhood. I think the green exterior is kind of loud and (not that I'm Irish) but I wish them well. If I am correct it was a location for Haywood's BBQ(?) for a short time between bar names.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home