Happy In Bag

Monday, February 11, 2008

The One That Got Away










Although I knew that the most intriguing jazz artist in Kansas City picked up a weekend gig at the Golden Ox's lounge, until last weekend I hadn't darkened the door of the steak house since I left my West Bottoms job a couple years ago. The profoundly masculine room is an ideal setting for Loren Pickford's trio. Even as he's shackled to a cocktail jazz format Pickford can't restrain himself from occasionally wailing like this. He also covers Tom Waits' skid row saga "The One That Got Away" with weary authority. It's the real deal.

2 Comments:

  • At 2:35 PM, Blogger The DLC said…

    I love that room! It's a much better place to eat than the main dining room. And music is always a plus.

     
  • At 3:52 PM, Blogger Happy In Bag said…

    Yes, DLC. I also remember a time when you could buy sandwiches to go at the back door. They might do that still...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home