Happy In Bag

Tuesday, September 07, 2010

And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda











Is it the beer? The relentless year-round marketing campaign by a large ethnic-identifying community? Or is it the music, a niche that holds special appeal for aging hippies and hipsters? I always marvel at how Kansas City's annual Irish festival manages to attract tens of thousands of people. I published an interview with the director of the Prairie Village Jazz Festival at Plastic Sax yesterday. I honestly don't know if the September 11 event will attract 500 or 5,000 people. I can't wait to find out.

8 Comments:

  • At 9:56 AM, Anonymous Rick in PV said…

    Just read the rules: No coolers, no outside alcohol, no unauthorized photography or recording ... I was thinking picnic, but no cooler?

     
  • At 9:59 AM, Blogger Happy In Bag said…

    It's free, man. C'mon!

     
  • At 10:59 PM, Anonymous Rickn in PV said…

    Oh, I will be there. Just figuring out the logistics ...

     
  • At 7:49 AM, Blogger Danny Regan said…

    Hey...I have a great version of The Band Played Waltzing Matilda for you from Andreas Transø, one of our 2010 Irish Fest performers. Let me know where to send it.

    Cheers

    Dan

     
  • At 1:06 PM, Blogger Happy In Bag said…

    This, dear Happy In Bag readers, is precisely what I'm talking about. Dan and his Irish Fest colleagues are ever vigilant (and lovable).

    Dan- please use this email address: happyinbag(at)gmail.com. Thanks, and congratulations on another great year.

     
  • At 12:14 PM, Blogger Danny Regan said…

    Sending it right now. Let me know what you think.

     
  • At 12:47 PM, Blogger Happy In Bag said…

    Thanks, Dan! It's top-notch. Andreas Transo sounds like a European-born version of Iowa's Greg Brown.

     
  • At 2:22 PM, Blogger Danny Regan said…

    Yes indeed. Throw in a little Dick Gaughan, too.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home