Happy In Bag

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Bantamweight












March Madness, spring training and the looming NBA playoffs. It's widely accepted by the majority of North American sports fans that spring is the most exciting season. Even as I'm giddy with anticipation for these events, I mourn the decline in boxing's popularity. I rarely mention my passion for the sweet science anymore because people usually look at me as if I just confessed to admiring dogfighting. Maybe the crazy carnival surrounding the likes of Mike Tyson and Tommy Morrison spoiled the public's perception of the sport. Or the knockout punch could be the result of pay-per-view greed and denominational in-fighting. Sadly, boxing is stumbling through a precarious standing eight count.

4 Comments:

  • At 9:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Apart from token references to Jack Dempsey, Happy you are the first person I've heard in KC refer to boxing.

    Maybe it's less popular in Ireland now also but when I moved over 8 years ago it was noticeable how you could have long sports conversations in Ireland and Brtain about boxing and boxers from all over the globe, but once I stepped off the 'plane in KC my experience in mentioning the sport has been what you described. So I don't any more.

    Don't know what the cause of its demise might be, as I imagine there's always been a large dose of theatre and circus about it, long before Tyson, but I suspect you may be right in the role and impact of pay-per-view.

     
  • At 11:18 PM, Blogger Happy In Bag said…

    It's especially baffling, Irish, because a couple big-time boxing supply businesses are based in the KC area. The van pictured here promotes one. And this female boxer, who in addition to being a great athlete is a wonderful person, also lives here.

     
  • At 11:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I fought randy carver in a 12 round main event in kanasa city, he was a excellent boxer and person,after the fight he gave me one of his shirts and signed it, I still have his shirt. I pray for his family and friends. I will always will remember(team carver).

     
  • At 4:52 PM, Blogger BRIAN ZELLEY said…

    I have recently added the name RANDIE CARVER to the
    blog: "tragic boxing Stories and Fallen warriors"

    it seems such a shame that the pain for many is still hanging around like a dark rain cloud. Maybe, it is time to blow the cloud away and remember these words:

    A River of Tears, teardrop by lonely teardrop, can never wash away the pain and lost potential for young
    RANDIE CARVER, but we can remember him and the sport that he enjoyed beyond tomorrow.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home