Happy In Bag

Sunday, March 18, 2007

Digging a Hole












I still don't know exactly what happened. A few teenage buddies and I had been throwing snowballs in the parking lot behind Westport's Penny Lane Records. We were behaving foolishly, and for reasons still unclear to me, security officers approached us with their firearms drawn. We were detained for about fifteen minutes. I was rattled by the experience, and after we were freed my pals mocked me mercilessly. They boasted that they were accustomed to such brushes with the law. Not for the last time, I questioned the wisdom of befriending those derelicts. A few years later, I was an employee at the record store and often picked up trash in that same lot. Designated as the future site of the "41 Penn" luxury condos, today the space is just a big hole in the ground.

--
I'm off for a blogger's holiday.

4 Comments:

  • At 12:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Doesn't this just crack your shit up? Almost like when they built CityPlace, but that much closer to the bars. I will dearly miss this parking lot, and the former Bagelworks/Mesa Wraps terrarium building. Christ, the memories.

     
  • At 11:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    B.B. Your website is way kwel. Very enjoyable. Your neighbor with yorkies. ML

     
  • At 1:17 PM, Blogger Pensive Girl said…

    so, um...nice write-up in the star. now, i guess i'll know you if i see you.

     
  • At 4:07 PM, Blogger Donna. W said…

    Howdy from Lafayette County. Saw you featured in the Star.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home